Position: Rockstar Mortgage Underwriter
Reports to: Regional Operations Manager
Employment Status: Full-Time
Location: Remote or in-office
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Unfortunately, too many mortgage corporations operate under the “MUSHROOM MORTGAGE” approach – they keep their employees in the dark and expect them to grow.
Mortgage executives and the companies they run seldom value people over the bottom line. Their lack of transparency and authenticity ultimately leads to a complete loss of trust from their teammates.
To commoditize a human being, make them feel incapable of making good decisions, and force them to work in a relationship void of support, honesty, and a path forward is just plain WRONG.
NEO Home Loans Is Different
NEO Home Loans is the new expectation of what a mortgage company should be. We’ve worked for companies with no integrity, where we were managed to the lowest common denominator, and we know what it feels like when corporations do not seek input from their teammates.
It’s our ethos to foster open and honest communication. We treat our teammates as adults and provide responsible autonomy for them to make good decisions and further their careers. We believe you should always be cultivating new skills and growing toward your ultimate potential.
Our Recruiting Process
We believe in hiring exceptional people above all else. Here’s our process.
- We seek individuals who we believe will align with our culture and who possess the skills necessary to succeed
- We conduct peer panel interviews where we get to know your story and learn about your goals
- You meet with leadership to hear the NEO Home Loans vision and process for creating successful homeowners
- You review our compensation plan, which is designed to naturally scale with market fluctuations
This is position is for an experienced and awesome mortgage underwriter. This Rockstar team member underwrites residential loans for the region and ensures compliance with appropriate company and secondary market investor standards as well as all applicable laws. The underwriter examines loan documentation for accuracy and completeness and partners with the Processing team to secure all required documents.
Essential Job Functions
- Reviews loan applications and associated documentation for accuracy
- Verifies loan-to-value ratios, completeness of application information, and credit reports
- Analyzes credit reports, associated documentation, and home appraisals to qualify and classify loans according to company guidelines
- Maintains acceptable turnaround times
- Interacts with Quality Control, Compliance, and Funding teams on problem resolution, risk evaluation, and compliance
- Develops and maintains an up-to-date and sound knowledge of multiple loan product guidelines offered by the company, DU/LP guidelines, and risk-assessment tools used to decision mortgage loans
- Reworks loans to new terms and identifies additional conditions as needed to ensure a viable credit decision
- Reviews and evaluates borrower profiles including, but not limited to, income documentation, tax returns, credit reports, preliminary reports, judgments, bankruptcy documents, and appraisals to ensure all necessary documentation is requested and supports final loan decisions
- Exercises good judgment and issues quality decisions
- Demonstrates proficiency in Automated Underwriting systems
- Communicates regularly with loan originators, management, and processors
Non-essential job functions
- Participates in and leads proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals
- Adopts NEO Home Loans’ values in personal work behaviors, decision making, contributions, and interpersonal interactions
- Contributes to a positive work environment by committing to continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity, and fun
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Solid knowledge and understanding of FNMA and FHLMC policies and guidelines
- Solid knowledge and understanding of mortgage loan processing, compliance, investor products, and underwriting guidelines
- Solid knowledge and understanding of mortgage insurance (MI) guidelines
- Solid knowledge and understanding of various fraud tools
- Solid knowledge and understanding of processing and closing functions
- General understanding of the entire real estate lending process
- Ability to have fun and work well with others
Required Education and Experience
- 3-5 years of residential loan underwriting experience
- Demonstrated experience researching information, problem solving, and making solid business decisions
- Demonstrated experience reporting, analyzing, interpreting, and critical thinking
- Demonstrated experience effectively managing relationships with internal and external partners
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Demonstrated experience with attention to detail, written and oral communication, and working in a team atmosphere adhering to tight deadlines
Preferred Education and Experience
- Credit-signing authority experience preferred
- Experience working with Fannie Mae Desktop Underwriter and Freddie Mac Loan Prospector preferred
- In-office and remote positions available
The NEO Difference
Making the decision to join our team means you are joining a tribe that will encourage you to grow, push your own personal boundaries, and ultimately a team that will have gratitude for your contributions.
Life is short. We want to be the long-term career solution and not the short-term fix that will ultimately leave you disheartened and dissatisfied. We look forward to helping you grow!